AKANA K.J. MA
Akana K.J. Ma provides experienced and responsive business and legal counsel to clients engaged in a wide variety of international business transactions worldwide. Akana offers targeted and personal legal service for large and small companies, law firms and individuals to creatively resolve issues and facilitate international trade. His major areas of practice include:
International Business Transactions
- International sale and distribution of products and services; licensing of technology and software, protection of intellectual property, purchase and sale of businesses and assets.
Exports From the U.S.
- Compliance with U.S. and foreign export controls regulations, embargoes, anti-bribery, and shipping laws and regulations governing commercial and military products, technical data, and services;
- lassification and licensing of commercial and military products;
• Audits of company export controls compliance programs and advising on implementation of effective compliance programs under the U.S. Export Administration Regulations (“EAR”), the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (“ITAR”), U.S. Customs and Border Protection, and the various country and sector sanctions administered by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (“OFAC”), and the U.S.
• Advising clients regarding Voluntary Self-Disclosure
Imports Into the U.S.
- Representation of parties in antidumping and special tariff exclusion proceedings before the U.S. Department of Commerce and the International Trade Commission;
- Advice on the U.S. import process and compliance with U.S. Customs and Border Protection regulations;
- Representation of parties before the Committee on Foreign Investment in the U.S. (“CFIUS”) in matters involving Declarations, Joint Voluntary Notices, and CFIUS investigations for foreign investments.
Data Transfer and Privacy
- Compliance with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) as well as the U.S – EU Privacy Shield Framework;
- Advising regarding compliance with the U.S. government cybersecurity standards for government contractors.
U.S. Government Contracting
- Advising government contractors on various aspects of government contracting, including cooperative research and development agreements with agencies of the U.S. government, protection of intellectual property rights developed in the course of government-funded programs, and compliance with the Federal Acquisition Regulations and Defense Federal Acquisition Regulations.
- U.S. Department of Commerce District Export Council for Oregon and Southwest Washington, 2007 to present
- American Bar Association, Division of International Law and Practice
- International Bar Association
- Interpacific Bar Association
- Frequent lecturer for U.S. Department of State, U.S. Department of Commerce, and U.S. Small Business Administration on multiple trade compliance subjects, including: export controls, import and customs, anti-bribery, personal data protection, and government contacts
For further information, please contact Akana K.J. Ma at:
Akana K.J. Ma
Shareholder, Buchalter Law Firm
1331 NW Lovejoy Street, Suite 900
Portland, Oregon 97209
Tel Office: 503.226.8489